Saturday, June 26, 2010

Another Way to Get Free Books


I have recently begun using NetGalley, despite the lack of a proper e-Reader away from my desktop pc. According to their site:

"NetGalley is an innovative and easy-to-use online service and connection point for book publishers, reviewers, media, librarians, booksellers, bloggers and educators.
NetGalley delivers digital galleys and promotional materials to professional readers and helps promote new and upcoming titles. Using NetGalley, publishers can build communities, invite contacts to view galleys and promotional materials, and track who has viewed their titles.
Professional readers--reviewers, media, journalists, bloggers, librarians, booksellers and educators--can join and use NetGalley at no cost."

Basically, the publisher puts digital copies of their galley proofs - that is, the preliminary versions of their publications - on NetGalley along with appropriate marketing and promotional information, and professional readers (I love this designation!) can search through the database of titles and request permission from the publisher to read them. The reader is under no obligation to read and/or review anything, either. And did I mention that it's free?
I currently have only one title that I have begun reading through NetGalley, but if I like this format, then I will use it more often. I use Adobe Digital Editions to read digital galleys on my pc, and so far I don't mind it so much. Digitally reading a book will never be my preferred method, but it comes in handy for a professional reader such as myself, (heh, heh) especially since I have three ebooks that have been sitting in my inbox for months, thanks to LibraryThing Early Reviewers, that I am beginning to feel guilty about not getting to.

Have you checked out NetGalley yet?


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a "professional reader" for NetGalley as well and I love it. I read them on my Kindle. Great selection and really nice people to work with. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...