Friday, May 14, 2010

Review: Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Hush, HushBook Details:
Hush, Hush
by Becca Fitzpatrick
Genre: YA Fantasy
Published 2009, Simon & Schuster
Hardback, 391 pages
ISBN: 9781416989417

Synopsis:

P.S. I read this book after reading the review of it over at Dark Faerie Tales.
For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch came along.
With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment.
But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure who to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.
For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.

I'm still tingling from the ending of this wonderfully delicious book! I immediately went in search of a sequel and discovered that there is one set to release in November (thank the heavens!) titled Crescendo, phew! Sooooo, on with my review!
I decided to read this novel after reading multiple reviews of how fantastic this book is, especially since I have been looking for a good angel saga ever since I read Sharon Shinn's entire Samaria series in less than a week. (5 books) There is something refreshingly different about angels in the Fantasy genre of literature, instead of the almost-cliched use of vampires, werewolves, and witches. Not that I've had my fill of those, either, but change is good.
The lust-filled tension between Patch and Nora reminds me of a certain other famous couple in YA Fantasy, except Patch isn't nearly as secretive about what he wants. After stepping back and thinking about his character, I came to the conclusion that what attracts the fairer sex to the bad-boy type is not necessarily his "badness", but his confidence. The biggest clue that Patch was not normal was the amount of confidence he exuded around Nora. And I don't recall my sex ed. classes ever being as interesting as Coach McConaughy's class! Truly, I don't think I could say one bad thing about this book. The loose ends will obviously be answered in future books, such as Nora's father's death, Dabria's fate, and what Nora's mother will do about the farmhouse. The ending was almost a complete surprise to me, and unpredictable in many ways. I'm also curious as to how Nora Grey's parentage will play a part in future books and the massive potential that comes with it. I also like how Nora is not totally dependent on Patch and seeks to solve her own problems and fight her own battles - more strong woman than damsel in distress. Her best friend Vee provides a bit of comic relief, as well as adding a human element to balance the supernatural aspects of the book. I could go on and on. I'm also very curious if the topic of God will be addressed in any future books, since it would seem that acknowledging heaven, angels, the Book of Enoch, etc., means doing the same for God. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of Crescendo!

Cover: Such a great cover, I don't even care that the wings Patch is sporting on the cover are not technically seen in the book. Although, I have to wonder why angel wings are portrayed as black, both on the cover and with a feather in the book.

First Line: "Chaucey was with a farmer's daughter on the grassy banks of the Loire River when the storm rolled in, and having let his gelding wander in the meadow, was left to his own two feet to carry him back to the chateau."
This is definitely not the beginning I expected from this book, not just the sexual dalliance, but the French setting as well. The author certainly got my attention with this first sentence!

Favorite Quote: "Say provoking again. Your mouth looks provocative when you do."




Read For: Pages Read Challenge, Support Your Local Library Challenge, New Authors Challenge, Fantasy Challenge, Twenty-Ten Challenge

*I read this on the recommendation of Book Faery.

1 comments:

FallenArchangel said...

YAY!!! Awesome, so glad you loved HH and are looking forward to CRESCENDO! We are giving an ARC of CRESECNDO away on FallenArchangel.com and will have more chances coming up.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...