Saturday, July 30, 2011

Review: One Foot in the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, Book 2)Book Details:
One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, Book 2)
By Jeaniene Frost
Genre: Fantasy
Published 2008, HarperCollins Publishers
Paperback, 357 pages
ISBN: 9780061245091


Synopsis:
          You can run from the grave, but you can't hide . . .
Half-vampire Cat Crawfield is now Special Agent Cat Crawfield, working for the government to rid the world of the rogue undead. She's still using everything Bones, her sexy and dangerous ex, taught her, but when Cat is targeted for assassination, the only man who can help her is the vampire she left behind.
Being around him awakens all her emotions, from the adrenaline kick of slaying vamps side by side to the reckless passion that consumed them. But a price on her head—wanted: dead or half-alive—means her survival depends on teaming up with Bones. And no matter how hard she tries to keep things professional between them, she'll find that desire lasts forever . . . and that Bones won't let her get away again.
I love that Cat Crawfield works for the government with a "Special Forces" team, instead of the usual rogue behavior that I read in many Urban Fantasy series. It's interesting that it takes Bones this long to find Cat, and by a seeming coincidence at that. It occurred to me while reading that if Bones really was as good at what he does as he says he is, then he would have found her within the first year easily.
Skipping ahead to the best part about this series, in my personal opinion, is the sexual chemistry between Cat and Bones. I confess, my curiosity about chapter 32 of this book, after reading a book review that made vague hints about it, is what propelled me to start this series. I actually read that chapter first once I got my hands on this book to satisfy my curiosity, and words can not describe how hot this chapter is! So often, I find that sex scenes in novels abuse cliches or do not use the details adequately for my personal tastes, but this chapter throws conventional decorum out the window without disgusting me or making me too uncomfortable to read. Plus, the more fantastical aspects of the two characters made for some unique and handy details that Jeaniene Frost used quite well to create such heat between Cat and Bones. Yes, I read that chapter several more times before I turned the book back into the library.
Cat Crawfield has really grown into a character of strength and determination from the first book, Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, Book 1). She knows how to use her abilities to their maximum potential and her self-confidence is strong enough to stand up to even her mother. No longer is she like a pupil to Bones' instruction, but an equal to him in every way that matters. Bones is just as cocky and alluring as he ever was - I wouldn't change a thing about him. It is obvious that he has more than a few secrets up his sleeve, but I don't mind the wait.
I find it intriguing how Cat can alter perceptions and prejudices of the people around her as easily as she does, as is shown with the men on her team. This shows just how much potential she carries to change her world on a larger scale. I can't wait to pick up the next book in the series, At Grave's End (Night Huntress, Book 3).

The Cover: A wonderfully dark cover that accentuates the cool factor of the main character, Cat. I would not mind seeing Bones on one of these covers, though.

First Line: "I waited outside the large, four-story home in Manhasset that was owned by a Mr. Liam Flannery."
While this is a nice introduction to the plot, nothing about this sentence is compelling or alluring, and even the character named seems insignificant.

Favorite Quote: "Shit. I hated her already, and we hadn’t even met."




Read For: 101 Fantasy Challenge

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...