Saturday, April 3, 2010

Author Interview with Tina Turbin


1. Can you tell the readers a bit about yourself?


I love writing books for kids and writing in general, I love my family and helping other families to thrive. I personally love to swim and Pilates. I actually love a bit of exercise daily.
I am passionate about raising awareness to Celiac Disease and the many adverse effects that gluten produces in many children and adults- even animals! One in every 120-130 people have this disease which means about 2.35-2.85 MILLION Americans to this date have not yet been diagnosed. It takes an average of 4-10 years (depending on your reference), to be properly diagnosed and in the meantime other auto-immune diseases can kick in and a whole mess evolves. People find out about celiac or gluten intolerance and start researching it themselves and then bring the topic up to their doctors, after many years of tests and troubles to no resolution. I was one of these people! Also, many kids with autism are taken off of gluten for a very good reason. Much more is on my resource site about these topics: http://glutenfreehelp.info/ . I discovered this whole area as a result of many years of not being able to find out what was wrong with my body, and I went to many doctors. I then resorted to searching for my own answers, like much undiagnosed celiac. I came upon this subject called Celiac and gluten and the lights went ON. I presented this topic to my doctor and asked for the proper test. I FINALLY had the test I had needed and there is my story in a very short version. I soon learned more, such as the many adverse effects that gluten produces in many children and adult bodies- and even animals!

2. What inspired you to write Danny the Dragon?

I love kids, I wrote a lot as a child, loved my Art classes and sports. I think the world at large inspired me. I always was very creative and athletic and that fact was fortunately accepted and nurtured in the schools I attended. So, all things in life to this day still inspire me to write, as they did for me as a child.

3. What do your three children think of your book?

They are thrilled about this one. They are all very supprotive.

4. Do you have any plans to write another children's book? If so, what?

I am mid a children's Gluten-Free activity and cookbook as well as the next two in this Danny the Dragon series.

5. What were some of your favorite books when you were a child?

I loved Charlotte's Web, Ramona Forever and Curious George.

6. How do you balance your work as both a children's author and humanitarian with your roles as a wife and a mother of 3?

It takes a lot of organizing of time to get things done. Some things slip though the cracks on some days - oh well, 'tis life as a mom.

7. Why did you decide to create the website GlutenFreeHelp.info?

To help the many people out there who may still be wondering what the heck is wrong with their body, it may have something to do with gluten. With this looked at, many people's eyes are opened to the fact that foods DO have effects on us - some adversely. Also, my intention is to raise awareness to Celiac Disease in general.

8. Is there anything else that you would like to tell the readers?

Enjoy momhood! It's an incredible experience and adventure life presents. I also love to share with women that it is important to have your own goals and do a bit for yourself as it only helps everyone else out around you.


Thankyou!

If anyone would like some Danny the Dragon swag, such as stickers, bookmarks, etc., let me know in a comment!





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...