Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Chosen by P. C. Cast and Kristin Cast

Chosen: A House of Night Novel (House of Night Novels)
Chosen is the third installment in the House of Night series by P. C. Cast and Kristin Cast. I am reading through this series entirely too fast for my own good! The authors balance the more mundane and normal aspects of Zoey Redbird's life with the other-worldly, mystical aspects. Her birthday coincides with Christmas Eve but her best friend is currently undead, leaving her with a rather "full plate." Pile on juggling three boyfriends, the goddess Nyx making her once-enemy her new magical sidekick, and once-trusted advisor becoming her enemy. With that much to deal with, something is bound to backfire given enough time. But even when things start falling apart, she still stays true to her destiny to follow the path that Nyx has given her. I think the series would lose much if its appeal without the balance of the "normal" teenage stuff with the supernatural. If I had to say something bad about the series, I would not mind more development on the textbook stuff that Zoey is supposed to be learning - very little of the books cover actual classroom activities, causing me to wonder what it is the students of the various Houses of Night actually do during the four years it takes for them to go through the Change.
I've already read the fourth installment, Untamed, but I have to get the library to order the next one. I hate waiting!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...