Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Guest Post: Forsaken Protector by Nana Malone




Today's guest is Nana Malone, author of Forsaken Protector. Nana's love of all things romance and adventure started with a tattered romantic suspense she borrowed from her cousin on a sultry summer afternoon in Ghana at a precocious thirteen. She's been in love with kick butt heroines ever since. With her overactive imagination, and channeling her inner Buffy, it was only a matter a time before she started creating her own characters.
Waiting for her chance at a job as a ninja assassin, Nana, meantime works out her drama, passion and sass with fictional characters every bit as sassy and kick butt as she thinks she is. Though, until that ninja job comes through, you'll find her acting out scenes for hubby and puppy while catching up on her favorite reality television shows in sunny San Diego.




Take it away, Nana!

          When I started writing my first book (which now sits in the bottom drawer in my office), I immediately grabbed my laptop and started banging out a manuscript knowing nothing about characterization, plot or the writing business. Like so many newbie “have a lot to learn” writers, I said things like, “How difficult could it be?” An adorable heroine, sexy hero, a cute meet, sprinkle some acerbic wit and bam, you have a book. God, I had no idea. Who knew I needed plot, characterization, some magical writing and heaps of luck?
After several failed attempts at gluing a haphazard plot together for my first book, I got myself some craft books. Make that lots of craft books, joined RWA, signed up for every class I could get my hands on, and found the best critique partner that a newbie like me deserved or could ask for. She’s been patient, but honest - tells me what I don’t want to hear, encourages me to be the best writer I can be, and I’m so honored to call her a friend and one of my favorite authors, Misty Evans. If you’ve never read her, you’re missing out!
Over the years I’ve met some amazing writers. Women who pour their hearts out onto the paper. Those who plot, those who pants it. All of them hustling towards an impossible goal while traversing the land mines of day job, significant others, kids and personal lives.
Because now, 12 years later, four books, over a hundred rejection letters and experiences I wouldn’t trade for a pair of Prada pumps, (Let’s be honest, I might trade the experience for some Louboutins), I know what work goes into being a writer. The pain, pleasure, joy of it. The sweat and the literal tears. It’s in my blood now. The Protectors Series came out of my love of superheroes. You mention a comic book character, a superhero show or movie and chances are I’ve seen it or read it, or owned the Halloween costume. I wanted to address powers in a way that was more steeped in reality. Forsaken Protector is the second in the series and deals with the aftermath of escape and freedom. Symone has to deal in the real worked with a power that keeps her isolated from all people. Garrett has to make some difficult choices between love and family.

Thank you for that insight into your writing process, Nana, and thank you for stopping by!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...