Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Tag, You're It!

So I skipped the second week of BIP, which focused on original titles for blog posts, since I was short on time that week. (In other words, I was WAY more interested in plowing through my list from Week 1!) Week 3 is all about Categories and Tags. Well, I already organized my categories to suit my drop-down menu bar widget, with six main categories and multiple sub-categories for each one. I designed this system to specifically suit my needs over the duration, since I have less than 100 posts total on my blog so far. In addition, I also have my Labels in an attractive drop-down menu on my right sidebar so as to avoid clutter. Directions on how to do this can be found at Blogger Tips.

So on to Tags! I've read up on tags previously to this and was so confused as to their use and/or purpose that I just lost interest. For the sake of BIP, though, I'm willing to try again. I like the way this article explains the difference between tags and categories: Understanding Categories and Tags. According to the page: "categories exist before the item I’m categorizing, whereas tags are created in reaction to the item, often in an ad hoc manner". Now I get it! One problem - Wordpress may have options for both Categories and Tags, but Blogger does not - it only has Categories, otherwise known as "Labels." Now what? Google it, with my new handy SwagBucks toolbar searchbox!

Well, after searching for an hour, all I can find are directions for Label clouds, not Tag clouds. Boo. Guess I will just have to settle for adding a search box to my site and hope it works just as well as a tag cloud.



Anyone know a site for creating a tag cloud for a Blogger template?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...