Posted using ShareThis
From the site:
"A bold re-telling of legendary tales — The Myths series gathers the world's finest contemporary writers for a modern look at our most enduring myths."
"Myths are universal and timeless stories that reflect and shape our lives — they explore our desires, our fears, our longings, and provide narratives that remind us what it means to be human.The Myths series brings together some of the world's finest writers, each of whom has retold a myth in a contemporary and memorable way. Authors in the series include: Margaret Atwood, Karen Armstrong, AS Byatt, David Grossman, Milton Hatoum, Natsuo Kirino, Alexander McCall Smith, Tomás Eloy Martínez, Victor Pelevin, Ali Smith, Su Tong, Dubravka Ugresic, Salley Vickers and Jeanette Winterson.
The series launched on 21st October 2005 and is the most ambitious simultaneous worldwide publication ever undertaken."
According to wikipedia, Jamie Byng, owner of the independent foundation Scottish publishing firm Canongate Books, hopes to eventually publish 100 titles in the series. The first title in the series, Karen Armstrong's A Short History of Myth, was published the same day in 33 countries and 28 languages, in what the Washington Post called "the biggest simultaneous publication ever."
Here is the current list of all available titles in the series:
1. A Short History of Myth (Myths, The) by Karen Armstrong
2. The Penelopiad: The Myth of Penelope and Odysseus (Myths, The) by Margaret Atwood - about Penelope and Odysseus
3. Weight: The Myth of Atlas and Heracles (Myths, The) by Jeanette Winterson - about Atlas and Hercules
4. The Helmet of Horror: The Myth of Theseus and the Minotaur (Myths, The) by Victor Pelevin, translated by Andrew Bromfield - about Theseus and the Minotaur
5. Lion's Honey: The Myth of Samson (Myths, The) by David Grossman - about Samson
6. Dream Angus: The Celtic God of Dreams by Alexander McCall Smith - about Aengus
7. Anna In w grobowcach świata (Anna In and the Tombs of the World) by Olga Tokarczuk (not translated) - about Inanna
8. Girl Meets Boy: The Myth of Iphis (Myths, The) by Ali Smith - about Iphis
9. Binu and the Great Wall (Myths) by Su Tong, translated by Howard Goldblatt - about Meng Jiang
10. Where Three Roads Meet: The Myth of Oedipus (Myths, The) by Sally Vickers - about Oedipus and Tiresias
11. Baba Yaga Laid an Egg (Myths) by Dubravka Ugrešić, translated by Ellen Elias-Bursac - about Baba Yaga
12. The Fire Gospel by Michel Faber - about Prometheus
13. The Myth of Izanagi and Izanami by Natsuo Kirino - about Izanagi and Izanami
14. Orphans of Eldorado (Myths) by Milton Hatoum - about the mythology of Amazonia
15. The Hurricane Party (Myths) by Klas Ostergren - about Norse mythology
16. The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ by Phillip Pullman - about Christianity